Sunday, June 3, 2007

Starting the year off right

Ok, I realize that for most of us school has just ended. HOWEVER, we all know that the first days of school are crucial to the success of the rest of the school year.

One thing that plagued me last year was getting students to turn in homework. I ran across something from Harry Wong's articles on the Teachers.Net website (http://teachers.net/wong/) about using a "Pink Slip". It was nothing more that a half-page form that students completed when they didn't have an assignment to turn in. There was a space for all the usual stuff, like date, assignment name, etc. but there was also a bank of reasons to check off such as forgot, didn't have materials at home, left homework at home and even some extra lines for kids to write their own reason. Check out the article here and there's a copy of the "Pink Slip" http://teachers.net/wong/SEP06/.

2 comments:

Vicki Davis @coolcatteacher said...

I wonder if it helped or caused problems. Did it make students more aware of their excuses or more cognizant of how the homework not turned in added up? Were there benefits.

I'd like to hear more about this one.

Jen said...

I think it helped. I had students who rarely turned in homework suddenly turn in homework on a regular basis. I think the reason was two fold--1)they became annoyed by having to fill out the pink slip and 2) they (and their peers) became aware very quickly how many zeros they were accumulating. One benefit, aside from students turning in assignments, was they encouraged and reminded each other about due dates.